I always knew that as an avid sneaker fan I would one day want to pass on my passion to my children. However, after I actually had kids I realized that I not only want them to gain my passion for sneakers, I also want them to look good all the time AND have a pair (or thirty) of shoes that were both classy and functional.
When I finally sat down and thought about it,(just after my son started pre-school) I realized that I didn’t have to look far for shoes that would fit that description. All I had to do was open my closet and I would find some of the classiest, most fashionable, most functional shoes I could think of; my collection of Air Jordans.
Like many shoe companies, Nike creates shoes for people of all ages, from toddlers to adults. This means that I could get miniature versions of my sneakers for my son. I may sound corny, but it always makes me proud to see photos of us out at the mall or at a fair rocking matching Jordans. In this review, I shall look at some of HIS favorite pairs of shoes, as well as some shoes I have bought for other kids, and share with you what, (in my opinion) makes them so perfect for a child’s growing frame.
- Top 10 Cheap Jordans for Kids
- 1. Nike Jordan Kids Air Jordan 5 Retro
- 2. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 11 Retro
- 3. Jordan Kids Air Jordan Spizike Retro
- 4. Jordan Kids Jordan Flight Origin 2
- 5. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 10 Retro
- 6. Jordan Kids Air Jordan “72-10” Retro
- 7. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 7 Retro
- 8. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 8 Retro
- 9. Jordan Toddlers Air Jordan 7 Retro
- 10. Jordan Kids Jordan Flight Origin
- Kids Air Jordan Buying Guide
Top 10 Cheap Jordans for Kids
1. Nike Jordan Kids Air Jordan 5 Retro
The Jordan 5s have always been one of my favorite pairs of sneakers. They are stylish yet underrated, and have some of the most innovative design cues of the era. Many people assume that when it comes to the kids Jordan shoes there would be notable differences, but thankfully, with the Air Jordan range that is not the case.
Just like my pair, my son’s shoes come with vents on the side and tongue that help ventilate the shoe, something that I feel is very important, especially with how active he is. I rarely have to worry about him falling because the grip on these shoes is phenomenal, and allows him to explore the world with confidence. They’re even good when hiking, though hiking in them is not something I encourage.
The best thing about these shoes is that unlike the adult pair, these fit pretty well all around the foot. They are still snug around the middle, but they definitely are not as loose in the forefoot or the heel as my pair.
Our Rating: (4.8 / 5)
- Excellent ventilation allows your kids to run around all day
- Excellent ventilation allows your kids to run around all day
- Excellent grip lets your child explore without you worrying if they are going to get hurt
- Understated design means these will go with anything
- Different lacing options allows you to adjust the shoe more precisely
- Not as durable as other Jordan’s thanks to the deterioration of the leather over time
- Low profile means less cushioning, which may cause some kids discomfort after prolonged use
- Insufficient foot support means you may need to invest in an insole for the shoe
2. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 11 Retro
The adult version of these are some of my most comfortable shoes, so you can imagine how good it felt when I took my son shopping for a pair of new sneakers and he picked these. These are pretty cheap Jordans for kids, and they look even better on my sons feet than mine look on me.
The white leather on his pair sparkles regardless of the lighting, and though the eyelets on the shoes may look weak, they are much stronger than you may think, and have stood the test of time. The soles on these is the same as on my pair, so my son has the same excellent grip on almost all surfaces that I get with my Jordan 11s.
These are some of my son’s favorite shoes for those afternoons when we play ball together in the driveway or the court at the local community center. This is because the comfort levels in these are insane, and though they have very little ventilation, they still have enough to ensure I’m not thinking about how bad his feet are going to smell when he takes the shoes off.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- Exceptionally comfortable due to an excellent fit
- Wonderful grip thanks to the rubber cylindrical design traction pads on the forefoot and heel
- Aesthetically exceptional regardless of the outfit that your child chooses to wear
- Multipurpose shoe for both basketball and street wear
- Outsole tends to pick up more dirt and debris than most sneakers due to the stickiness of the rubber sole
- Material used, especially eyelets on laces, seems flimsy and easily damaged
- More air circulation within the shoe would be nice
- Polyurethane midsole rather than Carbon Fiber (in the adult version) provides less support for your kids feet
3. Jordan Kids Air Jordan Spizike Retro
When the Spizike series was released, it came out as a limited edition shoe that had all the sneaker heads running to the stores. The kids version is no different, and even I was in the line at our local mall to get my son his pair. For a limited edition amalgamation of some of the best Jordan Shoes over the last few decades, the Spizike’s are really cheap Jordan shoes.
The Spizikes take the best elements from the Jordan 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 20 shoes and put them into one shoe. You get the interior and therefore the superior comfort of the Jordan 20s, along with the ventilation from the Jordan 5s. The support structure for the feet comes from the Jordan 4s, while the grip is provided by the Jordan 3s outsole.
My son loves the shoe’s bold design cues taken from the Jordan 3, 9 and 20. He especially loves the animal print in the forefoot and heel of the shoe. The design elements in the heel also add a special appeal to the shoes, and because of them these are some of my son’s favorite shoes.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- The best design cues of the most historic Air Jordan are combined in this shoe
- The Grip provided by these is great for when your kids are running around or playing sports
- Comfort is guaranteed thanks to the Air Jordan 20 internal structure
- Design elements from the Jordan 3s make this a shoe your kids will love
- Like the adult shoe, you may have to go down half a size for a snug fit
- Fit around the ankles could be improved, especially for the times when your child is extremely active
4. Jordan Kids Jordan Flight Origin 2
The Jordan Flight Origin 2 are cheap Jordan shoes that you can pick up for your kid for less than $100. They are excellent shoes that are perfect for those that like bold, stylish designs. Though these are labeled kids, they are worn by kids and adults alike, and are especially popular among young teenage boys and women with smaller feet.
My son loves to show off his Flight Origins during our weekend visits to the mall. They are made from a combination of synthetic materials and leather that have proven strong and durable. They look awesome both on and off the court, and provide some excellent ankle support which helps if your kids are going to be in them the whole day.
They are good as city shoes but on the court they leave a lot to be desired. Despite having an air unit in the heel, my son tells me this does not provide much support or protection. In addition, there is not much support for the foot either, making it uncomfortable to play for more than two hours. Like myself, my son has wide feet, and (for the first time) this became an issue when we bought these shoes as they were too narrow in his size, and we had to go up half a size to find a good fit.
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
- Different patterns on the outsole provide fantastic grip both on and off the court
- Excellent ankle support means that your kids can play harder for longer
- Leather and synthetic materials make this shoe very durable
- Lack of foot support makes extended play somewhat uncomfortable
- Air unit not as supportive as it should be
- Narrow fit means you may have to buy half a size up
5. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 10 Retro
The Jordan 10 Retro sneakers have been some of the most iconic sneakers in the Air Jordan range, and can still be seen on many basketball courts today, which is a rare occurrence for Jordans. However, they are that good, and the Kids versions are no different.
The upper is made from a mixture of synthetic and real leather, which greatly contributes to the durability and strength of the shoe. The cushioning on the shoe is very impressive, and my son says they feel wonderful on the court. Comfort levels are increased by the fit of the shoe, which he says is the best of all the sneakers he has. However, he rarely wears them on the street, not because they are so comfortable, but because they are so good on the court.
In my opinion, the grip provided by these shoes is only rivaled by the Jordan 1s, and it seems like my son agrees. Unlike many of the other Air Jordan shoes that you will buy, the grip on these does not seem to be affected by dirt and debris, and they still provide grip when relatively dirty.
The only issue with these is that other than the mesh tongue, there is no ventilation for my son’s feet. This is something that worries me, especially with how often he chooses to play in these shoes.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- Wonderful fit guarantees comfort
- Impressive cushioning thanks to phylone midsole and full length Air Unit
- Excellent traction allows your kids to push themselves harder on the court
- Materials in the upper reduce the chances of the sneaker losing shape
- Poor ventilation means your kids feet won’t breathe properly
- You may have to go a size or half a size up if your kid has wide feet
6. Jordan Kids Air Jordan “72-10” Retro
When my son said that he needed a darker colored sneaker in his closet, I should have known that he was going to ask me to get him these cheap Jordans. They are some of the Air Jordan brand’s most aesthetically pleasing shoes, with a shiny black, almost glittery, “full grain leather and synthetic upper” that makes them look exquisite in the right lighting.
Though he has proven that they have the grip that will allow him to play all out on the court, he uses them as a fashion statement more than anything due to the shoes design. The white rubber outsole helps to contrast beautifully with the black leather, while also providing impressive stability to the shoe. The fact that it comes with a full length Air unit increases the comfort levels of the shoe even further.
The one disappointment with these shoes is the ventilation, with is virtually non-existent. Other than the mesh on the upper, there are no other perforations to allow air to circulate in the shoe as your kid wears it. This means that you can expect your kid to have extra sweaty feet after games or a long day out.
Our Rating: (4.8 / 5)
- Leather and Nylon mesh mix makes for a comfortable fit
- Shiny leather increases aesthetics of the shoe, making it excellent for street wear
- Mesh provides ample ventilation for less strenuous activities
- Cushioning and ankle support are remarkable
- Mesh and eyelets seem flimsy, therefore extra care will be needed
- Ventilation not adequate for on the court play or running around
- White sole is likely to get dirty very easily
7. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 7 Retro
I originally bought this shoe for myself, but when I came home and wore them for the first time, my son took one look at them and said that he too wanted a pair. I love these shoes and so does he, and it’s not just because they are a pair of cheap Jordan shoes.
The Jordan 7s retro’s come with some of the boldest design cues that Nike had to offer back in 1992 when they first came out. The kids shoes come in a host of colorways that look like the clothing of the time, bright, flashy and unpredictable. The colors do not stop on the upper though, as the soles of these shoes are also very colorful.
I like the snug fit that my pair of Jordan 7s provides me but my son says he would have preferred it if they were slightly looser. However, I have never heard a complaint about comfort because the cushioning on these sneakers is very impressive. Another thing that is impressive is the ventilation on these shoes, which have so many perforations to let air in that my son really has to work up a sweat before his feet get sweaty.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- Excellent cushioning means that you can be confident your children’s feet are comfortable
- Impressive ventilation gives your kids the freedom and opportunity to exert themselves
- Ankle and Foot support is excellent whether on or off the court
- Unconventional designs make this a very desirable shoe
- The sole loses grip when the shoe picks up dust, dirt and debris
- Sticky, smooth patches of rubber on the sole increase the chances of picking up dirt and debris
- Materials used to make the upper of the shoe may adversely affect performance, making it difficult to pick the right shoe for your child
8. Jordan Kids Air Jordan 8 Retro
Designers during the early 90s really loved to use bright colors and innovative designs that would push the boundaries and make the people who bought their products unique. The Jordan 8 Retros are testament to that, with bold colors and flashy cross straps on the upper that make the shoe look out of this world.
When we first bought these shoes, I was skeptical about my son using them to play ball over the weekend due to their apparent lack of a grip pattern. However, he said that they worked fine, if not almost as well as the Jordan 10s, which from him is high praise.
The comfort levels are brilliant thanks to the fit, which is a true to size fit supposedly feels even better when they are laced all the way up to the top. My son loves how comfortable they are once his foot is strapped in, and says that his ankles feel like they have the best support of any of his other shoes.
However, like most Retro Jordans, the ventilation on these things is not that impressive, and with the even better fit, it makes it even easier for my kids feet to start sweating.
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
- Wonderful fit adds to the security and comfort feet will feel when wearing the shoe
- Ankle support is extraordinary, and is some of the most impressive in the retro range
- Bold design cues make certain that your kid will stand out from the crowd
- Grip on the court is more than adequate despite first impressions
- Ventilation is not impressive and the fit makes it even easier for feet to sweat
- Materials though durable, begin to show signs of wear after extended use
9. Jordan Toddlers Air Jordan 7 Retro
These are the first kids Jordan shoes I ever bought for my niece, and you could tell that she loved them from the moment she put them on. They are much the same as the bigger shoes, except for a few changes that Nike made to help them miniaturize the shoe.
For instance, the shoes come with what Nike call a Dynamic-fit inner sleeve which improves comfort. This is basically an inner sock that you can use to help your toddler fit the shoe better, and adds a little extra cushioning to the shoe to make it more comfortable.
The Polyurethane and Phylon wrap used in the shoe help to provide the cushioning, meaning that you can be guaranteed that your toddler’s feet will be comfortable. The shoe was specially made to flex easily, yet remain strong so that your child has the freedom to move their feet, but also the protection should they bang into anything accidentally.
The grip pattern on the sole of these Jordan 7s is exactly the same as the one on the adult shoe. This means that your kid will have the grip to deal with any surface, giving you a little time to relax and enjoy the coffee instead of worrying if your toddler with slip and fall.
Our Rating: (4.9 / 5)
- Dynamic-fit inner sleeve ensures that your child gets the perfect fit
- Polyurethane and Phylon help to keep your child’s feet cushioned
- Materials help to provide freedom of movement while providing protection as well
- Excellent grip will help to stop your child falling, while helping to relieve some of your stress
- Like the adult shoe, dirt will affect the grip of the shoe
- Extremely easy to pick up dust thanks to more smooth patches on the outsole [/su_list]
10. Jordan Kids Jordan Flight Origin
The Flight Origin shoes are some of the most popular cheap Jordans for kids on sale right now. They have a very popular among parents with younger children, mostly because they look awesome, but also because the materials that are used make these one of the most durable children’s shoes you can buy.
The synthetic materials coupled with the real leather help to add strength to the shoe, while two different lacing style options at the bottom and top of the shoe help you to customize how secure the shoes feel on your child’s foot.
Though these are marketed as basketball shoes, they are more suited for street wear. The design cues and aesthetics all point towards this, thought if you were to look at the outsole you would beg to differ. The grip pattern on the sole helps to provide tremendous amounts of grip on almost all surfaces meaning that you can let your kids roam free without having to worry too much if they are going to slip and fall on the pavement.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- Design makes these perfect for younger children
- Amazing grip helps your kids to maintain traction regardless of the surface that they are on
- Leather and synthetic upper help to improve the durability of the shoes
- Excellent cushioning means that your kids will be more comfortable for longer
- Grip at the front of the shoe is wanting thanks to the smooth rubber
- The fit may be a bit snug for people with wider feet
Though this may be a list of some of my son’s favorite shoes (with the exception of the last two which I bought for other members of the family), some of the shoes on this list are some of my favorites as well.
They are also some of the cheapest Jordans you can get, and you definitely will not be breaking bank if you decide to get these shoes for the little ones in your life. If you would like to impress some of the younger members in your family or circle of friends, any one of the shoes on this list would serve you well.
Getting the right pair of shoes for a child or toddler can be a challenge, and hopefully this review of some of the shoes that children in my life have loved will help you make a choice.
However, the best reaction I have EVER received from giving a child a new pair of shoes came when I bought my son the Air Jordan 10 Retros. Even though it has been a couple of years now, I haven’t seen him that excited since, and the fact that he uses them all the time goes to show how functional they are. If you are contemplating starting a Jordan collection for your kids, this would be the perfect place to start.